Friday, July 9, 2010

Shoulder Scopes and Sun Salutations!

For those of you who did not know, I had an arthroscopic shoulder surgery May 5th of this year. This was to repair what has been an extremely annoying injury that occured as a result of my clumsiness some years ago! All in all, my surgery went very well and I have a gifted surgeon, a fantastic physio, a nurse-maid mom, and loving husband to thank for that :) The staff at VGH were excellent as well and I was even fortunate enough to have a nursing student, named Julia (yay!) who inserted my IV with amazingly little pain or struggle...on the first try! When I was transferred upstairs, a very hairy man, who was covered from head to toe (and nose to neck!) by scrub apparel was in charge of my medical care while I was waiting to be wheeled into the OR. He was a funny sort of man, a bit gruff, but silly. He asked me a question, he said "What is the first thing you're going to do when your shoulder is fixed?" I, without hesitation responded "A sun salutation!" This of course caused my yeti-like man nurse to howl with laughter..."A sun salutation?!", he repeated incredulously. "Yes, a sun salutation", I replied ( a little hurt by his laughter.) "It's a series of yoga poses," I explained cautiously. He said, "Oh...it's just that word 'salutation', it's not something you hear everyday."  "No, you don't...unless you're into yoga!" I quipped. So, this blog post is to say Mr. sasquatch male nurse...that on Tuesday, July 6th, I did my first post-surgery sun salutation :) and boy did it feel good! Oh Yoga...how I've missed your gentle stretches, twists and bends. I've missed the calm and quiet in my life...I look forward to many more downward dogs and tree poses in the near future!

3 comments:

  1. Forgot to give a shout out to my "angel of morphine" at VGH in recovery...Her magical and soothing voice in addition to her syringes of heaven were AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the words of a drunker, feistier Pam..."Eff you shoulder!" Fist Pump!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahahaha. That's so true Katie!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Accolades?