Sunday, July 18, 2010

Toilettiquette


Ok. So, this may be a touchy subject for some..but it's something that has been on my mind for a few weeks now.Toilettiquette
I don't know if this word actually exists..if it doesn't...it should!
It combines Toilet and Ettiquette--thus Toilettiquette. Bathroom Beahaviour has been an awkward yet popular topic of conversation as of late. Recently, I've observed there to be a lack of what I describe as Toilettiquette.With boys telling tales of conversation no-no's or ill-spaced urinals, and girls sharing stories of feminine hygeine product mishaps and requests from under the divider to "spare a square". 

I was at work this week and I walked into our ladies' washroom--which has about 6 stalls, three sinks, a counter with a large mirror (for make-up touch-ups!) I was suprised when I heard a woman having a one-sided conversation...I was even more suprised when after the flush, a lady came out of the stall pants undone and a cell phone precariously placed between her ear and shoulder. Surpised that she had obviously taken her cell phone into the washroom stall...I kind of shot her a little "look", that said...ew...you are on the phone in the bathroom. Thinking this look would be enough to get her to finish her call, I proceeded to a stall. I waited to hear the tell-tale signs of a dwindling conversation...:talk to you soon" or "I better get going"...As I stood there contemplating sitting on the throne...but those phrases were never uttered. 

Now, I'm of the opinion that it is rude and disgusting to carry on a phone conversation while in a lavatory...but I could see if this lady needed to take this call, and there was no one else in the washroom...why she may have been tempted to continue the conversation....but then....
She continued talking while I was "tinkling", as I could no longer hold it, and I could tell she wasn't going to be ending her call anytime soon! And after the crazy auto-flush toilets we have at my work did it's thing...I walked towards the sink to wash my hands. The lady is still on the phone! So, just as I reach for the paper towel, she hangs up her cell...and then turns to me...I, at this point am fully expecting an aplogy with a very detailed explanation of the importance of the offending phone conversation. But no..........she proceeds to check her reflection in the mirror and tell me about the great deal she got on her blouse?! 
Dumbfounded, I congratulated her on her shopping saavy, although I thought in the back of mind..good thing she got a deal...that shirt is frightful! 

This is an interesting connundrum I have found myself in lately..I tend to "run into" people that I know in the washroom...mostly co-workers...and I am "confuzzled" about the length of conversations that people are willing to have while "taking care of business." But am I the only one?? If you begin a conversation with someone in the "foyer" or sink area of a public washroom...is it appropriate to allow it to continue once on the other side of the stall door?? Or is it considered poor form to carry discussions over "the other side"?? Is taking the phone with you to the loo the thing to do?
Comments? Questions? 






5 comments:

  1. I agree with the bad etiquette of talking on the phone while in a public washroom, now on the topic of carrying on a conversation with the person in person through the door - i guess it depends on the person your talking with and how well you know them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point Pam. Congrats on the blogging too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jesse! I'm learning......

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my favourite : "I thought in the back of mind..good thing she got a deal...that shirt is frightful!"

    I have talked to random people in the bathroom, but only at the sink or while waiting (as we girls always seem to be doing!) - never while in the stall. And I have never talked on the phone while in the bathroom. Ew. No one needs to hear where you are.

    I agree with Lillian, but it's still hit or miss whether it's acceptable to talk inside the stalls - I think the only exception I can think of is at a nightclub where you can't hear anything outside the ladies' room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My $0.02: it's NOT ok to talk on the phone in the bathroom. Someone once did this when I was in the bathroom too and it's so weird and invasive and gross! I think it's ok to talk while peeing if you're talking to someone you know. Also, Pam, unless sparkles come out when you pee, you're not allowed to say "tinkle"!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Accolades?