Friday, August 6, 2010

Workplace Kindness

Since my blog is supposed to be about random kindness....and to date I haven't really posted a single thing that has had to do with that...so, I thought I should :)
Today, on my way into work I was carrying my purse (aka prada suitcase), my lunch bag, my phone/ipod and my coffee mug. I could kind of sense that there was someone behind me and even though I had my music on I could tell that as we approached the side entrance he was trying to say something to me. So I turned around and popped an ear bud out and asked him to "say again?" He replied, "Allow me to get the door." To which I responded "Why thank you." He waved his pass, which had been hanging from a lanyard around his neck, and as I waited for the familiar beep, the gentleman opened the first door into our building.
I smiled at him and entered, he quipped, "looks like you had your hands full", to which I countered "No more than any other day...let me hold this one." (as there are two sets of entry doors.) He passed through and I followed behind, feeling like it was going to be a great day! How nice, a man who holds doors...under the age of 65!

As I watched him walk away ahead of me I began to envy him...he waltzed into the building with nothing more than his lanyard around his neck and some levi's on his legs...oh, and a shirt...belt, shoes...but you get the picture. While I on the other hand had not one but two bags, plus my coffee cup....why is it that some people, men, in particular, can just meander around town with hardly any gear?
I had loads of stuff shoved into my two bags...a catastrophic environmental event could occur and I could be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours with the amount of items and food in my bags! So, it begs the question...how do men do it? Not carry so much stuff? Where do they keep their lunches? Wallets? Phones? Keys? Emergency almonds? Spare flip flops...etc. If it's possible to make it through a day with so little stuff...why do I need so much??

4 comments:

  1. Maybe we dont need all that stuff but we just like to be prepared whereas men feel they are always prepared without bringing anything along (I think it helps that they wear normal shoes and pants).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope some men weigh in here, because I always wonder that myself. I like to be prepared. I usually have a book or my ipod in case I get stuck waiting for a bus, a pen, and touch-up makeup (though not a whole bag!), wallet, phone, etc... Maybe because we ladies are always so prepared, the men figure they don't need to be, also? Perhaps we do this to ourselves!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The emergency almonds are key. I, too, would like to know where men keep them hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the answer to your question, Pammy, is that you don't need it!! I don't drink coffee, so I don't need a cup. I usually buy a sammich at school, so I'm good with just a water bottle and my wallet!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Accolades?